[NTLK] Navigating the web with the newton

B Dudney kosmicdollop at saber.net
Thu Dec 14 20:03:16 EST 2017

I’m no expert, but I think our dear Newts have exceedingly too little RAM to handle current web pages, not least full of endless scripts! Not to mention all sorts of conventions adopted since its browsers were written.

Even Newt’s most sophisticated browser, LunaSuite, back in Newt’s heyday: There were lots of pages no Newt browser could handle at all, or only a little bit.

On 14 Dec 2017, at 06:47, Abraham Limpo <stormbolter at gmail.com> wrote:

> Haha!
>
> There's value in using the serial port. I can connect to modern WiFi
> networks and decode https pages via proxy 😉
>
> Don't worry, I'll figure it out eventually
>
> El 13 dic. 2017 18:11, Piotrowski Paweł (Newton) <newton at indigi.co.uk>
> escribió:
>
>> My suggestion would be to use normal LAN or WiFi card :)
>>

>> Best regards,
>> Pawel Piotrowski
>>
>> Worldwide Apple Newton Users Map: http://user-map.applenewton.co.uk <
>> http://user-map.applenewton.co.uk/>
>>
>> NPDS Server: http://newton1.applenewton.co.uk:8079 (powered by Newton
>> 2100)
>> NPDS Tracker Server: http://tracker.applenewton.co.uk:3680 <
>> http://tracker.applenewton.co.uk:3680/> (powered by Raspberry Pi)
>>
>> Newton User Group on Slack: http://newtoncity.org:3000 <
>> http://newtoncity.org:3000/>
>> Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/AppleNewtonFan/ <
>> https://www.instagram.com/indigi_newton/>
>> Twitter: https://twitter.com/AppleNewtonFan/ <https://twitter.com/indigi_
>> newton/>
>>

>>> On 10 Dec 2017, at 17:01, Abraham Limpo <abraham at familialimpo.net>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello fellow newtonians!
>>>
>>> I managed to connect my emate to internet, but seems that I'm unable to
>>> load any webpage. Newthopper says that it doesn't support 'text/html' (or
>>> UTF8) while I seem to be able to load simple webpages (that I made) with
>>> newt's cape but isn't able to open anything else.
>>>
>>> Because I'm using a "unusual" method to connect to internet (direct
>> serial
>>> connection to a unix server with PPPD) I don't know if I'm doing anything
>>> wrong or there is simply no webpages for newton to open.
>>>
>>> Any suggestion?
>>>
>>> http://newtontalk.net/
>>> http://twitter.com/newtontalk

>> http://newtontalk.net/
>> http://twitter.com/newtontalk

> http://newtontalk.net/
> http://twitter.com/newtontalk

via cable from low-power MacBook lacking wireless devices,
hence radiating no deadly EMR connectivity: see RadiateNot.Me