[NTLK] Navigating the web with the newton

Matej Horvat matej.horvat at guest.arnes.si
Sun Dec 10 12:34:54 EST 2017

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 18:01:24 +0100, Abraham Limpo
<abraham at familialimpo.net> wrote:

> I managed to connect my emate to internet, but seems that I'm unable to
> load any webpage. Newthopper says that it doesn't support 'text/html' (or
> UTF8) while I seem to be able to load simple webpages (that I made) with
> newt's cape but isn't able to open anything else.

What about e.g. Courier?

http://40hz.org/Pages/Courier

> Because I'm using a "unusual" method to connect to internet (direct
> serial
> connection to a unix server with PPPD) I don't know if I'm doing anything
> wrong or there is simply no webpages for newton to open.

If those browsers support the use of a proxy server, you can try running
this on your server:

https://github.com/tghw/macproxy

It was specifically written to simplify pages for MacWeb on a Macintosh
Plus, so it should also work with Newton browsers.