[NTLK] How to make custom sounds for NewtonOS?

Grant Hutchinson grant at splorp.com
Thu Apr 13 16:06:30 EDT 2017

On 2017-04-11, at 9:25 AM, Dan wrote:

> I don't know exactly how, but I do know an installed package with a
> sound you can then set to replace the default.  For example I have a
> soundbyte of C3-P0 saying "We're Doomed!" when a system error comes up.
> There were a bunch of sound packs available way back when.  I have a
> few, but some of them only worked for some apps.  While others could be
> used for anything you wanted (available to the system).

For a start, you can look into the Sound Off! and Sound Icon Maker packages from Deep Focus Solutions.

http://www.deepfocus.com/newton/SoundOff.shtml
http://www.deepfocus.com/newton/SoundIconMaker.shtml

Digging a bit deeper, you can import sound resources into applications (or standalone packages) using Newton Toolkit. More information can be found in chapter 14 of the Newton Programmer’s Guide.

http://www.newted.org/download/manuals/NewtonProgrammerGuide20.pdf

Frank Gruendel also provide some tips for getting sounds into NTK back in 2009 ...

http://marc.info/?l=newtontalk&m=123930697600418&w=2

g.

Grant Hutchinson
NewtonTalk List Dad & Web Custodian