[NTLK] How bright is a (well-preserved) eMate's backlight?

"Piotrowski Paweł (Newton)" newton at indigi.co.uk
Sun Apr 9 08:16:54 EDT 2017

> On 7 Apr 2017, at 05:07, Nick Chaiyachakorn <little.green.salad.bowls at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all - first post here:
> I've just bought an eMate off eBay. Being a complete novice to
> Newtoniana, and having grown up never seeing EL backlights before, I'd like
> to ask: how bright is a a well-kept backlight? The green glow on mine
> is barely visible above the LCD grey in a well-lit room. (This dates me as
> very young, but the backlight's brightness is a little jarring to someone
> who's grown up being told that that backlights are for equalising screen
> and room brightness in order to stop yourself squinting.)

Hi Nick!

https://www.backlight4you.com/EL-Panels/Backlight-Kits/Replacement-Backlight-for-MessagePad-2000-2100::753.html <https://www.backlight4you.com/EL-Panels/Backlight-Kits/Replacement-Backlight-for-MessagePad-2000-2100::753.html>

You could ask them if it is possible to get version for eMate or do some modification to use this one in eMate.

> Second, has anyone ever tried a NewtonSales white backlight? The website
> claims it's fairly "modern", but I don't know what to expect
> brightness-wise from it.

I know that for this guy form NewtonSales the high quality customer service is not strong side, but I bought from him USB module ones. And I got it. So, I think is worth to try.

BTW, I don’t know any stories connected with NewtonSales. Could someone clarify why people don’t like him?

Best regards,
Pawel Piotrowski

NPDS Server: http://newton1.applenewton.co.uk:8079 (powered by Newton 2100)
NPDS Tracker Server: http://tracker.applenewton.co.uk:3680 <http://tracker.applenewton.co.uk:3680/> (powered by Raspberry Pi)