[NTLK] To continue the Note 7 jokes.. What *is* the battery problem?

Jim Witte jim.witte at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 12:27:33 EDT 2016

At least this will take care of “Pen-In-Backwards-Gate”.  They can fix the infinitely-more-important battery problem, and slip in a small fix for the pen problem as well (no pun intended):

1) Make the pen-end slightly bigger around than the rest of the pen, and
2) Make the top of the case well be slightly bigger, so that the pen will still fit flush with the phone casing.

<Voice of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory doing a Steve Jobs impersonation>
You couldn’t *possibly* have a pen that *stuck out 4 mm from the case*  OH THE HORROR!!

They might even take that as an opportunity to put a small sensor in the “bigger end” of the redesigned pen and make it an eraser (does it already have an eraser function?)

Does anyone know *what* the problem with the batteries actually is?  Is it the cells themselves (they bought them from the same company that makes the cells in the cheaper “exploding hover-board” products?).  Or a load-balancing circuit that isn’t working (assuming the Note 7 has more than one cell), or did they forget to put in a "thermal cut-off chip”?

Jim