[NTLK] OT: Wanted - Apple iie parts

Forrest newton_phoenix at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 20 02:12:26 EDT 2016

Ross:

There were 4 ROM options for the IIc--I have the next-to-last version (ROM 3), which introduced support for third-party expansion cards. Unidisk support (3 1/2" drive) had debuted with ROM 2, although mine still has a 5 1/4 drive...and yes, I do make use of it.

I transfer software to the IIc from my 15" AlBook G4 using ADTPro, which has worked exceptionally well. I don't know if you're aware of that option...basically I download Apple II software from various FTP sites and then port it over.

I also have a IIgs with two external drives, a 5 1/4" and a 3 1/2", so I've had the latter choice as a more modern option. Still, stupid and archaic as it might sound, I get kind of a thrill using the 5 1/4 disks. I had to search on eBay for a good deal on boxes of blank floppies (some of the prices are ridiculous!), but it takes me back 30-40 years.

I ended up with four IIc's...the first (original) one was very yellowed and had the nonfunctional keyboard. The other three resulted from first making an offer for a single machine on eBay; then bidding on an auction that featured two more. I won that auction and my bid was subsequently accepted--PRESTO! Unexpectedly, three machines!

One of them had an unexpected surprise: an Applied Engineering Z-RAM Ultra expansion card. I cleaned up, fixed and sold two of the four IIc's (first is parts machine) and kept the best one ("Platinum" color scheme with no yellowing)--I installed the Z-RAM card in it. I've become quite enamored with it.

I think overall IMHO you'll find it a bit easier if you can at least access those two drives--should you need to in the future you'd have that option. There are few enough options for these machines now anyway.

Thanks,
Forrest