[NTLK] USB to Newton Interconnect cables

davida at pobox.com davida at pobox.com
Fri Feb 5 16:38:33 EST 2016

Hi Andrei,

(skipping the internal port vs interconnect port confusion)

> I have some concerns, you say you are looking at using USB A connectors. Those are the ones that you have on your PC. These are for Host side devices, you will be making a device and should be using a B.

My plan, thus far at least, is to make a cable that will have a USB 2.0 (?) type A male connector on one end (suitable for plugging into a PC, Mac, Raspberry Pi, standard USB hub, etc), and FTDI USB-serial bridge in the middle, and the Newton Interconnect port on the other end.

My understanding is that if it was to be a “dongle”, that the upstream port on the dongle should be a type B, but that since the cable is embedded in the device (well, the device is embedded in the cable, really) that a type A is the right choice.

I’ll be posting full specs, prototype pictures, etc, for everyone to review before I proceed to actually making the main batch, and I’d really welcome reviews and suggestions (then, or any time).