[NTLK] Remind me to try compiling Einstein on my RPi

Jeff Sheldon jeffsheldon at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 13:25:28 EST 2016

It's been a while since I looked through the source and so decided to brush
up stepping through targets.

Mac OS: Builds and runs fine albeit a variety of warnings.

Linux (Ubuntu): After some tweaking, this eventually fails when it's
looking for sockio.h, a header file which doesn't appear to be standard.
I've found I had to add in various includes along the way, too, to satisfy
missing

There's also a Raspberry Pi target included, though I haven't tried it for
fear of my SD card.  One can cross compile this sort of thing, however.

I'd like to be able to build a clean Linux binary within 64-bit Ubuntu
before going any further, fork Paul's Einstein repo, then update the build
instructions as they're a bit outdated.

Pis are so cheap and parts easily affordable that it makes sense to push
the Einstein envelope forward and not look back.  I used to love the
original MP hardware--enough that I attempted to document the PCB layers
and bought a microscope to evaluate the chip innards--but it has no place
in a progressive MessagePad ecosystem.  With the ball-and-chain Voyager
chipset managed in Einstein code, the sky's the limit.

I have a Pi3 and Zero that I'll check the code out on in the coming weeks.
Einstein's Pi target is likely expecting a 32-bit Pi2 and early Raspian
which might complication.

-Jeff

--
-Jeff