[NTLK] Intro mail and WTB nice MP2000/2100 (no accessories needed) and Homebrew MP2100 upgrades

Dan dan at dbdigitalweb.com
Tue Dec 6 14:43:08 EST 2016

On 12/6/2016 2:29 AM, Jon Glass wrote:
> Agreed on all your points. I'm just stuck in that I need connectivity for
> my Newton, and no longer have any vintage kit to connect through. I
> currently use what you mentioned here--OneNote on the Surface. It's the
> closest to a Newton I've found, but no replacement--there is no replacement
> for the paperroll on the Newton, to be honest. It's a great loss that all
> of that has been lost. On my Surface, I use OneNote and GoogleKeep (on my
> phone mostly), and between the two, it almost works--but that word "almost"
> makes a huge difference.
>
> I have thought of using my Newton as a stand-alone device, without
> connectivity, like a virtual notebook.... but every time I take it out and
> power it up, it all comes back, and it is just too painful to try to use,
> knowing what I left behind... I sort of envy you the ability to use it,
> without all that nostalgia getting in your way.

Sadly I don't use my newton quite as much as I used to, even though I
can connect it and import/export data (I use Virtual PC running windows
98 with a usb to serial adapter and it works wonderfully on newer
machines, you don't have to use slowdown at all).  Mainly because I
don't have a spare MP2100 right now and if this one dies, I am in the
soup (no pun intended).  I have looked around but nice spares are out of
my current budget.

The software on the Newt can't be beat.  The dates (along with addons
such as Dateman or MoreInfo) blow away anything else out there...STILL.
 It boggles my mind why.  Sure the hardware these days is way beyond the
Newt, but its software ... well nothing comes close.

I wish we could get a Einstein version for Android that could export
data, and the same for a Windows version.  That would solve the whole
problem, in my humble opinion.  Of course sharing a full calendar might
be a issue, but then again we can use IC/VC to get around that.

-Dan