[NTLK] [OT] Re: New Zealand

Bob Carls Dudney kosmicdollop at saber.net
Sun Aug 14 18:41:11 EDT 2016

Andrew wrote;

> Years ago I spent two weeks touring the South Island and felt that was rushed!

In terms of geology/geography, New Zealand is far more like a small-scale continent, with almost every sort of land type and most climates, from subtropical and Mediterranean, to even its own glacier National Park. It’s an exaggeration, but almost every time one turns a corner it’s a whole new sort of landscape, land form, including active volcanoes and thermal areas, fertile plains, and it originally hosted a vast forest of one of the world’s largest tree species by volume, kauri, a close relative of redwoods. Plus it’s bordered by nearly endless glorious beaches.

As with any continent, it takes at least months to properly experience its many, multi-hued and varied riches, including numerous unique species of flora and fauna. But as the 75th largest country, it’s far quicker to explore than a continent.

And, as Noah indicated, it’s very tourist friendly: Most of the “motels” are also campgrounds, and virtually every one surrounded by lovely to spectacular nature and scenery. It ranks 205th in population density (virtually no traffic worries). And Kiwis, as New Zealanders call themselves, are certainly one of if not most tourist friendly population.

Unique in all the world.

(No, I’m not employed by Tourism New Zealand (nor otherwise!))