[NTLK] Off-topic: Looking for a native Italian speaker

Riccardo Mori rick at newted.org
Wed Oct 28 16:41:59 EDT 2015

On 25 Oct 2015, at 20:57, Frank Gruendel <newtontalk at pda-soft.de> wrote:

> For the better part of two hours I have been searching youtube for a video
> with a singer that isn't... well... mumbling? Amazingly, so far in vain.
> Even the famous ones sing in a way that prevents my figuring out the
> pronounciation. Which isn't all that surprising because I know almost no
> Italian. Or maybe it's my ears. But even when I set the volume to a level
> that is close to producing ear pain, I can't "decipher" the pronounciation.
> So maybe it's not my ears after all…

Hi Frank,

Are you looking for the meaning of the lyrics, or are you simply curious about the Italian pronunciation? Because there’s an English translation at this Wikipedia page: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libiamo_ne%27_lieti_calici>

It’s 19th Century Italian, so I imagine certain words may sound strange…

Cheers,
Rick