[NTLK] FS: Newton equipment, software, accessories, chargers, battery holders

Ken Rosen kenrosen at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 19:18:34 EDT 2015

Hi all. It took a while, but I finally got my inventory done.

Everything is in California, in the San Francisco Bay Area. Hardware from
original Messagepad to 2100. Tons of third-party and apple software,
chargers, cases, etc. Obviously, items are old, but many are in original
packaging and some are unopened. I took many pictures and tried for clear
item descriptions, but I also got some help along the way from a non-Newton
person, so if anything seems confusing, just please send questions.

Personally, I think some of the coolest items are the several leather (and
in some cases synthetic leather) cases. After so long, you should assume the
batteries won't hold a charge, but the list includes some battery holders
also.

Thanks to several of you for your guidance. I used to think I was one of the
last people running their entire life on Newton, but your kind messages told
me the Newton community lasted a heck of a lot longer than my daily Newton
use. I'm jazzed to think some of this may go to folks who are as attached as
I used to be.

I figure attachments may not work on this list, so the inventory is in a
public Dropbox link. It will look like a zillion pages, but it's mostly lots
of pictures. You should be able to scan to see what catches your eye.

This link is here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s7s5l3i4a6znxk9/Newton%20items%2C%205%20pages.pdf?
dl=0

The entire collection fits in one heavy box about 2'x1'x1'.

***Two questions for the group***

1)       Any advice on the best way to sell a large collection? Selling
everything to one person seems best, but unlikely. Yet selling individual
items seems impractical. Either selling the lot or creating a few large
groups seems to make the most sense. And as you can imagine, I couldn't test
every item and we all know something may no longer work as it once did, so
it may be better to give a good deal on a big group of items, so individual
items make less difference.

2)      How do you recommend dealing with data on the Newton? The 2100s
(upgraded 2000s) have many apps with lots of internal data. I could do a
hard reset and erase everything, but that seems a *terrible* waste. The
Newtons and memory cards are loaded with apps any Newton lover would want.
And the data (e.g. contact lists) is super old, so I don't really think
giving it out is much risk. But it if the community has come up with a way
that combines selective data purge with (is it possible?) just trusting
people to do the right thing with the data, I'd love to know.

Both advice and offers are super welcome.

Thanks and enjoy. Ken