[NTLK] OMP serial connection problems

William Maloney firedoorus at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 08:11:20 EST 2015

I’ll walk you through this as I am setting it up…

Okay, plugged in the Gigaware adapter. Every time – for some reason – Vista
“installs” the driver, recognizes it, and then finishes.

Sometimes I go into device manger to make sure it is still set at COMM1. I
think it changes if I shut the system down. Currently at the following
settings: 9600 baud, 8 Data bits, None Parity, 1 Stop Bits, Flow Control
Xon/Xoff

Opening up VirtualPC version 6.0 (2007). Checking settings. VPC Comm1 is
set to Physical COMM1. Starting Win98. COMM1 settings within Win98 are
identical.

Newton is powered on. Trying to launch NCK right after hitting CONNECT. NCK
is programmed to ONLY communicate via COMM1 at 9600.

Launched at same time AND….Nothing. Nada. Phooey.

I don’t have the HyperTerminal program installed. Win98 is being a pain
with installing that add-on. Is there a way to see Newton trying to
communicate over the COMM port in Vista? I have PowerShell installed –
never used it before though…

I did try to install another package via Newton Press running natively in
Vista. Nada on that either.

Lastly, tried again to install a package via NewtonPress via VirtualPC. A
dialogue box did pop up THAT time: “There was an error trying to open the
following COM port on your physical computer: \\.\COM1   Before this port
can be connected to your virtual machine, you must verify that a device is
attached to the port, and that it is not being used by another process.” It
wasn’t so I just kept going, setting everything up via COMM1. Still
nothing.

Also, is Newton supposed to automatically turn on when a cable is plugged
into its serial port? I seem to remember that from a while ago. It doesn’t
do that now.

Thanks for the help!