[NTLK] OMP serial connection problems

William Maloney firedoorus at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 13:55:00 EST 2015

Okay, so trying to connect an OMP/MP100 to a Windows Vista Machine.

Here is the setup right now.

Newton ----> Serial cable ----> Gigaware USB serial adapter ----> USB port
on Computer ----> Windows Vista running serial adapter as COMM1 via device
manager ----> VirtualPC running Windows 98 ------> Newton Connection Kit 2.0

There seems to be no connection at all. I have done this before on an XP
machine and it worked fine a few years ago.

Everything is set to run at 9600 baud.

I tried connecting this machine to a Macintosh Classic II running NCK and
it also failed.

Beginning to feel it could be a hardware failure. I believe I recall seeing
capacitor flux near serial port when trying to put alcohol on the power
switch to keep the machine from powering off all the time.

Any ideas??? Anyone willing to lend a hand? thanks