[NTLK] Internal WiFi Project

Jake Bordens jake at allaboutjake.com
Thu Dec 24 06:46:27 EST 2015

>Re: serial speeds, what is the max speed for the Newt in that case? I'm guessing that it would be enough in any case for most newt-related tasks.

Documentation (and settings within Newton OS) indicate that it can to 230400 bps; In testing, however, I've found that even when you select this baud rate, it still only 115200 bps.  We're taking late-90's modem speeds here.

The internal serial slot documentation (http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/documentation/n2platform/n2-issdg.pdf) documents a method of using an external clock to achieve data rates at 2 Mbps. (See timing diagrams)  I believe this mode is active when you select "0 bps" as the speed in NewtonOS.

If someone were inclined, a small micro controller could be used to mediate this protocol and get faster serial speeds.  The ConnectOne wifi module does claim to do up to 3 Mbps in serial mode, so it would be possible.  This assumes the N2 docs are correct and the external clock stuff works at all.  I wanted to keep it simple, and didn't want to add this complexity.