[NTLK] Einstein on Android troubles

Forrest newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Fri Sep 26 17:54:54 EDT 2014

Hello all,

A few weeks ago while at a local Fry's Electronics I picked up a Hisense Android 7" tablet. I'd heard a lot about Android and wanted to see what all the fuss was about (even though I use Apple products)--plus I wanted to also install Einstein on it.

While I've been VERY impressed with the Android OS, I've had quite a bit of difficulty with Einstein. I spent nearly all of my waking hours last Friday and Saturday trying to get it to install and work properly...at first, I was able to install the 2010 patch, then I got three of the necessary Internet packages to install. However, since then I've been unable to get anything else on there. I even deleted the app completely and then tried to reinstall it--twice. Neither instance would even update to the 2010 patch as before...nor could I install any other packages.

Here's some more relevant information:
1) It's Android 4.1. I have downloaded and installed the APK (05-01-2013) from the code.google.com/p/einstein site, as requested to the Download/Einstein folder. (Yes, the other files/packages are all found there as well.)
2) There is a Newton lightbulb icon on the taskbar. When I tap it, I get a new Android window with a list of menu items, including "Install packages", which only takes me to whatever window is currently open in the Einstein app. The "Preferences" button does nothing.
3) Unlike the OS X Einstein app, there are no icons above the actual Einstein window (Power, Backlight, Network, Install Package).
4) When it worked, Einstein would boot up, and then the message "Installing packages" (with a progress bar) would appear and it would then, well, install packages--the patch, and then whatever else I would move into the Downloads/Einstein folder. That has stopped.
5) I was connecting to my MacBook Pro with a USB cable to move files/packages to and from the tablet. I've since found and installed a file manager app (ES File Explorer) to eliminate all that fuss. I can download directly or, if necessary, use Dropbox to move files.
6) There are no other installation issues or any problems at all with the tablet and its other functions...just Einstein.

I'm about to give up on the entire experience--I could certainly use some help. I have run out of ideas.

Thanks,
--Forrest

"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place."
--Douglas Adams