[NTLK] The internal store's signature has been altered. A hard reset may correct the problem.

Paul Guyot pguyot at kallisys.net
Wed Nov 26 03:37:05 EST 2014

> Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 00:31:28 +0100
> From: "Frank Gruendel" <newtontalk at pda-soft.de>
>
> Hi folks,
>
> has anyobody ever seen this message on his Newton? If you have, do you
> remember what caused it?
>
> I came across this message a couple of minutes ago while testing a 2100
> whose mainboard's RAM chips I have replaced with those from an organ donor
> board. Since said board is also a 2100 board, the actual hardware hasn't
> changed.
>
> NewtTest reports the Newton's serial number to be 0000 0000 0000 0000, which
> I haven't seen ever before. Apart from that, the Newton works hunky dory.
>
> I assume these two phenomena are related, since according to

Frank,

Indeed, this might be related to the serial number issue. I believe the message occurs whenever information on first blocks of the internal flash does not match what is expected. The serial number might be written on flash, the ROM checksum definitely is. This could be tested with Einstein by altering the serial number. Einstein's NewtonID is hardcoded to be "Newton". I don't remember exactly what happened when the NewtonID changed but probably such an alert popped up.

Paul
--
Semiocast            http://semiocast.com/
+33.183627948 - 20 rue Lacaze, 75014 Paris