[NTLK] Backing up to ATA CF

Stephen Hankins ghankins at mac.com
Wed Nov 5 09:14:45 EST 2014

Hi Morgan, Woody, & Marisa!

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

I was able to do a backup of my eMate using SBM Utilities. I chose to back up the whole ball of wax, both stores and packages. When I examine the backup using the Restore function in SBM, everything appears to be in place. I have not attempted an actual restore, however, which I suppose I would need to do in order to be certain that all has gone according to plan.

I appreciate Woody's suggestion about beaming across the ATA drivers, should a Restore from CF be necessary at some point after a brain wipe.

I have a 4MB card arriving today (along with an upgraded MP2000) that I hope will prove to be 5v and thus eMate write-compatible. If so, I will use that as my failsafe backup. What is nice about the SBM backup onto CF is the possibility of easily saving multiple backups, so that, if I screw something up royally, I might be able to return the Newton to some previous, more stable state (at least that's my thinking, which may or may not be reasonable).

I also need to play with the ATA Support options to see if I can use one of the volumes I create with it to stash packages that I don't want active on the Newton. For example, in sorting out my SMTP issues, I plan to uninstall Mail V and try Simple Mail. It would be nice to be able to stash the Mail V-related packages on a card and then unmount it while trying Simple Mail. Obviously, I can use beaming form the MP2000 in the same way, but I fancy the unmounted card option. On the other hand, I could be thinking about this all wrong. (But thinking about it, right or wrong, has got to be better for my brain health than working endless crossword puzzles!)

Cheers!

Greg
Greg Hankins
Happy Hank's Honey House