[NTLK] OT: Vroom vroom

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Fri Jan 17 07:49:15 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 5:31 PM, Andrei Chichak <newton at chichak.ca> wrote:

> On 2014-January-16, at 3:10 PM, Morgan Aldridge <morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:
>>
>> and the
>> blower resistor died long ago (hey, at least it gracefully degrades to
>> still having full and off).
>
> Easy peasy, you can get a replacement thermo fuse at Radio Shack (The Source in Canada) for $1.50. 4 screws, 3 bolts, a little Frank work and you're back in action.

You know, I hadn't even considered that option. Much more affordable
than buying a full replacement.

>> The ABS modules go too, fortunately
>> there's a Newton-like community and a Frank-like guy who re-solders
>> the loose joints.
>
> 4 screws and one plug. 5 minutes to swap. You can go to a bone yard and pick up a spare for cheep. There are two versions, one with TRACS, and one without.

I highly suggest <http://www.midwest-abs.com/> for anyone in the US
with an 850, S70, C70, or V70 that needs to replace their ABS module.

> BTW, when you ask a repair shop to replace your cam belt, make sure that it makes it onto the work order and that they actually do it. It's great that my guys didn't charge me for work that they didn't do. I'll take care of it myself from now on.

Oof. I always feel like I'm holding garages' hands and leading them
through all my repairs. I've been doing my own repairs with this car
for that reason (and the practice hasn't hurt with the Land Rover
rebuild), but the day job has changed leaving me with a significant
lack of free time, so back to the garages it is for me.

Back to the Newton side of things, I keep wanting to pick up one of
the cheap Bluetooth ELM327 OBD2 modules and see if I can talk to it
from my with MessagePad 2100 using my PICO Card, Blunt, and PT100.
Sadly, there's that whole "spare time" thing...

--
Morgan
---