[NTLK] Back to Normal!

tonykan at xtra.co.nz tonykan at xtra.co.nz
Tue Jan 14 01:33:40 EST 2014

Yeah, that is almost the way handwriting is implemented in Windows. On a Tablet PC there is usually a larger screen area available so the handwriting Input panel can be persistently activated without obscuring too much content.  The Panel is activated by tapping an icon on a "button bar" at the bottom of the screen.

Microsoft's HWR accuracy is surprisingly good, even for cursive writing. In fact I'd venture to say that it is about 5%-10% more accurate than that implemented in NOS 2.x.

Although the Tablet PC's user experience is definitely not as good in many ways as that provided by the Newton, I reckon  any one of the smaller Windows Tablets could be the closest thing to a modern Newton Replacement at the moment.

HWR is provided by the OS and made available wherever text input is required

As with the Newton, users can choose to turn off HWR conversion and ink instead. However this is only available within apps that support it.

Most tablet pcs have a silo to house a stylus.

Although functionally equivalent to all the gestures in the Newton, the Windows gesture vocabulary is quite different. for example, erasing  a word involves drawing a flat horizontal line through a highlighted word.

Although not as convenient as the Newton Notes app, I suppose OneNote or Evernote is the closest thing.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the UI is as good as the Newton. Only that a Windows Tablet provides the nearest thing. "Nearest" may not necessarily be close in absolute terms.

Having said that about the Newton, I do like Microsoft's idea of being able to share information such as calendars and contact lists across many different devices and present it all in one place.

For example, their People Hub not only holds the usual Names information, but also brings together Facebook, Twitter and email notifications in one big uber wall. All the information is synchronised with a central repository and no matter whether I more to my desktop, a tablet or my phone, I can pick up from where I left off.

Tony.