[NTLK] Hyperlinking Notes

Matej Horvat matej.horvat at guest.arnes.si
Wed Dec 3 14:15:53 EST 2014

On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 00:43:54 +0100, Grant Hutchinson <grant at splorp.com>
wrote:

> Nevermind, I just noticed that it's only for NOS 1.x ... it'll have to
> want until I dig out my MP130.

Is there interest in a NOS 2.x version? It shouldn't be too hard to make.

The MP130 is a NOS 2.0 device, BTW.

On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 02:41:46 +0100, Tony Kan <tonykan at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Wow, indeed.  Some screenshots would be nice :)

The Web page now has an animated GIF showing it being used.

On Wed, 03 Dec 2014 14:57:00 +0100, Greg Hankins <greg at greghankins.com>
wrote:

> Matej,
>
> Notelink works like a charm on my OMP. Now I need to play with it to
> implement a workflow I have been pondering.

I'm glad you like it. :)

> Thank you for creating it. Did you write it in NewtonScript?

Yes, it's quite a simple NewtonScript project. "Simple" as in "not much
code was needed to make this".

I don't think the Newton C++ compiler even supports NOS 1.x (someone
correct me if I'm wrong) - not that I'd want to use C++ when I can use
NewtonScript!

> I have been thinking about trying to learn NS, but I haven't tried
> programming since High School. I'Ve been reading the NS documents, but
> fear I may need to start with something a bit more elementary.

As Morgan said, http://newtonscript.org/ is an excellent resource.

I learned a lot about Newton programming by looking at example code and
just experimenting (but make a backup first!). If you're a Windows user,
see:

http://matejhorvat.si/en/ns/ntktips.htm

Maybe we should add links to Apple's example code to NewtonScript.org?
Specifically:

http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/development/Examples/SampleCodeMac
(for the Mac NTK, NOS 2.x only, I think)
http://www.unna.org/view.php?/apple/development/Examples/SampleCodeWin
(for the Windows NTK, NOS 2.x only and with short filenames, I think)
http://www.unna.org/unna/apple/development/NTK/winntk/1.6b10/SAMP95NT-recompressed.zip
(for the Windows NTK, NOS 1.x/2.x and with long filenames)