[NTLK] Knock Knock Knock

Forrest newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Sat May 4 11:16:59 EDT 2013

Tony:

Sorry to reply so late.

I grew up in Western PA (Pennsylvania), and while we don't have your kind of humidity (I was through Kentucky one summer), it's still pretty bad. I always compared it to walking around in a huge vat of warm soup; after awhile it seems like your pores clog up and it feels like you applied Vaseline petroleum jelly all over your body.

Now, imagine a room in your house that has just a washer and dryer in it. Now imagine that the dryer has been in use all day, so it is very hot and arid in there. It feels very much like that here in the early summers, before the rain arrives in mid-July and the humidity rises.

In June and July especially the population is reminded to drink plenty of water...when the temperature is over 100 in such conditions your perspiration dries on your skin often before you can even feel it. The saying goes that by the time you start to feel really thirsty it might already be too late, as you're not far from heatstroke at that point.

You are taught and become conditioned to drink water almost as a reflex action; not a bad thing anyway as nearly all of us in most climates don't drink enough water as it is. You also learn that light colored, loose fitting clothes are best.

It's interesting to me that the very regions that can grow cotton are those best suited to wear it: the arid portions and the Deep South.

Apologies for the, er, dissertation.

Thanks,
--Forrest

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4