[NTLK] query plus Re: Einstein: HWR to text to Mac?

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Wed Mar 6 07:45:32 EST 2013

On 06.03.2013, at 00:30, Morgan Aldridge <morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Matthias Melcher <mm at matthiasm.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 05.03.2013, at 22:57, Bob Carls Dudney <kosmicdollop at saber.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Query:
>>>
>>> Since one can install packages into Einstein, is it possible to turn my
>>> old Newton data into a package I could then install?
>>
>> LOL! Great idea, but no.
>>
>> It is possible to back up and restore using NCX over ethernet. But at the moment, it is extremely tedious. I promise I will get back to it as soon as I can.
>
> I don't remember the feasibility, but I'd love to see a linear flash
> card emulation that just stores in a flat file. That way we'd be able
> to `dd` a linear flash card & "insert" it in Einstein.

Well, the 'flash' file that the emulator creates is just that. What's missing is the software on the Newton side. I have asked Paul for the ROM dumper source code, which could be easily adapted to make it into a Flash/RAM dumper. If there is anyone out there capable of compiling code on MacOS, I can give pretty precise instructions on what to do.

BTW: I moved. Today is the first day in a month with a complete internet connection again. Phew!

Matthias