[NTLK] MPW simulator to run ARM6asm etc.

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Sat Jul 20 07:46:35 EDT 2013

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 6:36 AM, Matthias Melcher <mm at matthiasm.com> wrote:

> At the minuscule chance that someone has don something like this before: I want to run the Newton MPW tools directly from the OS X command line. In the Windows world, there is 'Wine' which does osmething for MSWindows programs, and in the Mac/OS X world, there is Classix, which does this with Mac PPC programs.
>
> Unfortunately, some of the Newton tools are still m68k only. There is also Executor , but the source code is over 15 years old and impossible to compile on OS X ML. Neither does it seem to simulate the MPW environment, but "only" the graphics environment.
>
> Has anyone ever heard of what I am looking for?

How about Paul Guyot's `toolserver` <http://www.kallisys.com/>? While
his site really only has brief descriptions and download links
anymore, the description on MacUpdate
<https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/15387/toolserver(1)> is as follows:

    "toolserver(1) is a command line program to invokeToolServer and
to execute MPW tools.

    For example, thanks to toolserver(1), you can use PowerPC and 68K
MPW C/C++ compilers with GNU Make or Xcode. You can also use GNU Make
to compile native code of Newton packages, such as LPR Driver.

    [...]

    REQUIREMENTS
    PPC, Mac OS 9.2.2 or later, CarbonLib, MPW with ToolServer. Source
code can be compiled with Xcode (I used v2.0)"

It was originally written for Mac OS X on PPC with a Classic
environment, but maybe there's some way to patch it to work with other
emulation environments.

--
Morgan
---