[NTLK] OT: iPod hard drive blue foam, does one need it?

Andrew Beals andrew.beals at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 11:19:38 EDT 2013

As it turns out, the headphone jack connector & ribbon cable for the
3rd gen iPods appears to be unobtanium.

In good news, though, I disassembled a handful of HDDs recently and in
addition to recovering the magnets for my fridge and platters for a
mobile-to-come, I saved off some thin sticky and presumably insulating
foam off of the bottom of their circuit boards, which will go into my
iPod Photo when I tackle it next week.  (HDD cables *are* available
for that)