[NTLK] HWR and the Newton mentioned in a Tablet PC review

Ross Deihm adventuresindining at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 22:38:35 EST 2013

I owned a Fujitsu Lifebook for a time. Fantastic hardware and
portability, poor batteries and difficulty finding replacements or
longer life options. Rarely did I ever find a chance to pull out the
pen and use it as a HWR device. It was armed with XP and the HWR was
awful. Even the pen felt infused with lag. Since this was not pressure
sensitive touch screen there was a noticeable and vaguely
uncomfortable feel to using the pen. Lack of pen types also
contributed to the limitations. The problem continues on newer devices
as well.

I'm sure there is a reason, but I don't know why no one considers
pressure sensitive displays as a viable input means. The friction of
the pen on screen and realistic instant display results with pin point
accuracy are far more desirable in my opinion.

Sorry for the rant, but I can't believe someone hasn't built a real
replacement for paper yet. Epaper with a pressure touch display
interface would make me a happy man. No software needed. Just be pages
and pages of anything I want to make, draw, write or dream that I can
send anywhere as email. No bloat or "featureware" stuffed inside. Just
keep it simple.