[NTLK] New version of Einstein for Android

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Fri Feb 1 16:16:06 EST 2013

On 28.12.2012, at 22:37, Mr Jonathan Dueck <jonathandueck at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hurrah, Matthias! I've just installed this on my Toshiba Thrive 10" tablet (= Tegra), and using an Adonit Jot stylus is is amazing. It feels a little slower than my N2100 does, but remarkably usable. What a pleasure!
>
> Others have mentioned this, but in case someone else with a Thrive in particular finds this thread searching to see if this will work, the down side as of the current 12/26/2012 build is that my device has no hard buttons, and so until the menu is implemented I can't install applications (or updates ex. the Y2010 bug fix).
>
> But hurrah! This is very, very much appreciated. Is there a way we can donate something to your project?

Hi guys,

James Fraser mentioned that I never answered this mail, and lo and behold, I found the mail in the folder named "must answer soon". It's a pretty full folder... .

Jonathan, thanks very much for the offer. I appreciate that you think of me and want to support the project. However, I would like to decline any monetary donations. At this point, my bigger issue is time. Between a crazy job, a wonderful family, and even crazier projects, I rarely find the time to focus on Einstein. When I do, I try to squeeze as much into a limited period as I can. If I would take donations, I still could not put more time into Einstein, and that would make me feel bad.

There is however one thing you could do. I love beer from all over the world. So, if we ever happen to meet (and you'd be surprised how many Newton owners I have met in the last years), buy me a nice local beer or one from your home town, sit down with me and tell me you Newton story ;-)

Oh, and in that context, I would like to share one of my Newton stories. I might have mentioned it before, but thinking back always makes my smile: thanks to my DyneE5 attempt, I was asked to talk at the Newton Conference 2007 in Tokio. I had never been to Japan, so I took some time off, and I went. Even though I was there for only three days, it was amazing! Tokio of course was, but also the Newton fans, the hospitality, the talks, and of course, meeting Paul Guyot on the day he released Einstein into OpenSource.

We were so excited that we ported Einstein from the Mac to MS Windows together in a few hours during the conference (now *that* says a lot about the quality of Paul's source code!), and we were able to show Einstein boot on my Windows Tablet before the show was over. But no worries, we still had plenty of time to hang out. The japanese hosts were perfect. They took use to Ikehabara(sp?) and may other awesome place. I saw temples mono rails, took the subway, used a public stand-up toilet - excitement everywhere.

Heck, I even tried Poutine here at a Canadian school here in Düsseldorf.

Without Newton, nothing of that would have happened.

So, see you soon for a beer.

 - Matthias