[NTLK] Rebuilding battery pack using Eneloop cells?

Aaron Brigati abrigati at gmail.com
Sun Aug 18 06:38:40 EDT 2013

On Aug 18, 2013, at 6:19 AM, Eckhart Köppen wrote:

> After successfully rebuilding my first battery pack (thanks Frank for the
> detailed instructions), I'm wondering if there's any reason to not use
> Eneloop cells for my next pack. They don't come with solder tabs, so that's
> going to be a bit trickier, but I'm more concerned if the internal charging
> process would work. They are in principle NiMH batteries.

I've used Eneloop cells in my Newton using the AA tray, and my impression is:

Don't bother.

Eneloops are great at holding a charge when you're not actually using stuff. So they're good for remotes, and cameras, and things that sit around collecting dust.

But they don't have as high a mAh rating as other cells I can get as rechargables, and they just don't run the Newton as long on a charge as my generic 2900 mAh AAs do.

So my suggestion would be to look for the highest-rated NiMH cells you can find instead.