[NTLK] Syncing Calendars

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Mon Aug 12 16:23:45 EDT 2013

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 1:20 PM, Noah Leon <moosefuel at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Has anyone had any success syncing their calendars to a modern service like
> iCloud or Google Calendars using the iCal tools in IC/VC? I was just
> thinking my Newtons would be really handy as date-books, but I really rely
> on these services these days to sync calendars for work and with my wife
> for home purposes. I believe they use the CalDAV protocol also, is there
> anything out there which could sync with it? Also, does anyone know if NCX
> or some other piece of software will allow me to sync to a modern calendar?

Unfortunately, I believe both Google Calendar & iCloud require secure
connections (SSL/TLS; HTTPS) to speak to their CalDAV interfaces. In
addition to that, while IC/VC supports iCal/ICS file format which the
CalDAV service is built upon, it doesn't actually support the rest of
the WebDAV/CardDAV side of the protocol.

While I haven't tested the import/export functionality of NCX myself,
it does support importing & exporting of Dates data, but not actual
synchronization functionality that you're looking for. You could
probably use it to perform a "manual" sync in much the way that I used
to do with IC/VC & Bluetooth (using Blunt & a PICO Card):
<http://marc.info/?l=newtontalk&m=119688165718466&w=2>.

There was NewtSync, but I don't believe it's been updated for
nearly--or possibly even a full--decade at this point. It wouldn't be
compatible with modern calendar apps like iCal.

All that said, I haven't checked in a while, but you may be able to
subscribe to a non-HTTPS version of a Google Calendar calendar using
IC/VC. Also, Google does have an API for Google Calendar, so someone
could write a proxy service (or maybe someone has for other platforms
without HTTPS).

--
Morgan
---