[NTLK] newt keyboard USB adapter

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Fri Sep 14 07:00:16 EDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 12:17 PM, Andrei Chichak <newton at chichak.ca> wrote:

> On 2012-September-13, at 10:03 AM, joe kallo wrote:
>
>>  I do know that android is able to use a
>> standard USB keyboard if you plug one in, so making the arundino converter
>> for android would not involve smashing anything.
>
> That sounds like it would work, it would just need a lot of reading of old Apple documents, being handy with chips and C programming, and patients.

I'm surprised that there are not already USB-to-Serial adapter drivers
for Android, honestly, so it may be worth looking around. The solution
could either be implemented with arduino, as in the example, which
would provide you with a plug-n-play solution on any platform or, if
there are USB-to-Serial drivers for Android and you want to stay in
Android-land, you could implement a Newton serial keyboard input
server. One such solution has already been implemented for Mac OS 7.x
- 9.x and the translation bits would probably be useful in porting:

<http://www.sarnau.info/software:newton_keyboard_enabler>

Morgan
---
http://makkintosshu.com/