[NTLK] Newton sales/promotional/instructional videos?

Lord Groundhog LordGroundhog at gmail.com
Sat Sep 8 06:30:34 EDT 2012

~~~ On 2012/09/08 08:02, James Fraser at
wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com wrote ~~~

> Hello,
>
> --- On Thu, 6/28/12, William Maloney <william.maloney.09 at cnu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Okay, working off of the original Newton Solutions Guide printed in 1995,
>> here are some of the titles we would love to include in NEWTON Complete.
>
> That reminds me: is there a master list/collection somewhere of all the "What
> is Newton?" commercials, and Newton-related sales, promotional, and
> instructional videos (e.g. "Welcome to Newton")?
>
> Is that what the Newton Museum's Movies Collection is (was?)?  I'm afraid I
> don't have a torrent client right now, so I can't take a look firsthand.

James,

I can't guarantee a complete list but if you just want a fairly varied diet
of Newton commercials etc., start by searching "Newton" on YouTube.  I gave
a presentation on the history of Apple a couple of years back, focussing on
their ads and on portable computing, and found that people had put quite a
few Newton-related videos up there.  I was able to reconstruct a fair bit of
the history of Apple hand-helds and tablets prior to the Newton and some of
the technological emphases (like the wonderful Knowledge Navigator) that
found at least partial expression in the Newton, just using what I found.

Some teasers:

This astounding one, © Apple Computers 1987:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WdS4TscWH8&list=PLE4A53E2D3AAD1331&index=41&
feature=plpp_video

This video which apparently was included with the Newton originally:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64QuJdJmCbA&list=PLE4A53E2D3AAD1331&index=16&
feature=plpp_video

The "Who?/What?/Where?" ads:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiNKMmyRiw4&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh-yed48e0Y&feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv6EhmVWIO0&feature=relmfu

There's more but I seem to have mangled my bookmark list for this topic.
Someplace or other I also found a survey of Apple's early, pre-Newton tablet
designs, going back to the early '80s but that's one of my missing links
now.  However, I found them without special knowledge just by searching, so
you should manage to find most things again.

HTH.

Shalom,

Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke