[NTLK] Questions from an apostate

joe kallo quietglow at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 10:13:24 EDT 2012

I'll say this (and I am trying to be brief as today is the first day of
NaNoWriMo and any excess keystrokes should be going into my word count for
the day. Hey, maybe my book needs a newtonlist...): I have been searching
for a replacement for my MP2100 since I stopped using it in ~2006.

I was third in line on iPad day, hoping that finally I'd have a
replacement. Over the next several months, it dawned on me that Apple's
design goals and monetary commitments had changed since the Newton days
(duh, I know) and that the iPad wasn't the new Newton, nor would it be.

The closest I've come to replacing my MP2100 is the Nexus 7 I have now. The
size is right, the flexibility of the software is right, and it runs
Einstein for the times when I REALLY miss the messagepad days -- it's
uncanny how newton-like it looks running Einstein. No handwriting
recognition, but there are several nice notepad apps which work like Notes
on the newt (albeit only in draw mode). It may be worth checking out. I'd
be happy to answer other questions about the device.

Joe