[NTLK] MP2100 error message -- internal memory full??

Smith Woody woodysmith at me.com
Sat May 12 01:21:59 EDT 2012

Christian

I hope that the reason you are hanging around a  hospital is not
serious.

In the situation you are in I would likewise be very cautious about
making changes.

This prompts me to open a  discussion of what might be best practices
as recalled by a long time reader of this list, and one who has lost
data.
I hope others will chime in as my non-expertise is revealed.

1. Heap is your system memory and is where tasks get done.  Both
Dashboard and Avi's backdrop report available heap.  I freeze Packages
and Extensions that I'm not using to keep this as high as possible
especially if I'm saving a Newton book as an HTML Works file or using
NewtsCape to create a Newton book.  All installed packages including
extensions are using heap unless frozen.

2. Keep some percentage of memory stores empty, I attempt to not
exceed 75% of capacity of my internal and primary card.  I use a
secondary card for large tasks that may cause a freeze up or system
reset due to not enough heap.

3. I keep all Names, Dates, and Notes stores on my internal store
along with what I consider core Packages and extensions.  I use my
Primary store for all other data, packages and extensions that I
regularly use including a full backup.  If your resources allow keep a
spare card of the same size to restore to should this card fail,
cards fail!  As mentioned I use a secondary/sacrificial card for risky
operations that may result in corruption, and require reformatting.

These comments are more for newer users than for you at this moment.
In your current situation it may be best to do nothing till you can
backup your internal store.

Best of luck with your newton and what ever is keeping your around the
hospital.

Woody