[NTLK] The Two-Legged NAT — How To Secure WEP For Your Newton

Doug McComber mccomber at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 28 06:01:59 EDT 2012

On Mar 27, 2012, at 10:20 PM, R A Parker wrote:

> On Thursday, March 22, 2012 at 12:12 pm Aaron Brigati wrote:
>
>> Yes, WEP and MAC address filtering
>> are trivial to crack. However, most
>> people aren't going to make any
>> effort _at all_ to crack wifi.
> .
> .
> .
>> and if you're using old stuff like
>> a Newton or a Nintendo DS on your
>> wifi, it's all you can use
>

> Surely, you can't be serious?
>
> Here's a solution:
> <http://newtzilla.quadzilla.net/html/-447584087$87.nsd>
>
> Download the PDF (in case I slashdot my NPDS Newton)
> <http://www.newted.org/raparker/newton/HOWTO-TwoLeggedNAT.pdf>
>
> This PDF is the companion to:
> <http://www.newted.org/raparker/newton/HOWTO-WirelessAppleTalk.pdf>
>

> Comments?

Aaron is correct in that WEP is all you can use to connect your Newton.  Your double-nat solution still means the Newton and anything else in WEP are insecure.  "most people aren't going to make any errort_at all_ to crack wifi", well that depends where you live I suppose.

Most routers bought in the last few years will allow you to run two wifi networks simultaneously from the one router.  You can configure each wifi network's settings (a,b,g,n WPA, WEP , nothing, etc) separately and choose whether or not the two networks can talk to each other.

Regards,
Doug M