[NTLK] Newton synching with Google Calendar

Tony Morrow gizmo1482 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 21:42:53 EST 2012

On Mar 8, 2012, at 8:31 PM, Tony Kan wrote:

> Hi Folks
>

> Just flying a kite?  How hard would it be to write an app to synch Newton
> Dates with Google Calendar?  And even better do it over a wifi lan?
>

> Cheers
>

> Tony Kan
>

> Christchurch
>
> New Zealand

I was actually looking a partial sync option a while back. If you enable sharing in Google Calendar you can get a link that will allow you to download a *.ics file. IC/VC is able to import *.ics files into Newton's calendar, but from there I don't know of a way to sync the calendar back to Google. Unfortunately IC/VC cannot handle the file when hosted on Google's servers. If I had to guess i would say the *.ics file is generated at the time the link is accessed and that somehow messes with IC/VC. If you download the *.ics file to a computer and host it yourself then IC/VC has no problem importing the file.

Since IC/VC doesn't work I thought about using Newt's Cape instead. The problem there is Newt's Cape doesn't know how to handle the mimetype "text/calendar". I tried building a helper app for Newt's Cape so it would know to download *.ics files as binary objects, but it doesn't work. I don't have enough programming expertise to sort out the bugs.

That's all I've got.

-Tony Morrow
http://lookanotherblog.com