[NTLK] [OT} Re: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 + Einstein = Match Made in Heaven?

Forrest Buffenmyer newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 1 10:36:05 EST 2012

I like #2...but, what's a murse? ;)

See, let me share something with all of you. It's one thing to misspell words in email (unless it's a reeaallly important one) or here in the List, or have an uncorrected typo. Here, we write our thoughts out quickly...I see many short online news pieces from publications like Macworld, PC World, PC Magazine and even the Associated Press that have misspellings that I would guess are typos. Again, news stories filed quickly, meant to be read once and likely not referred to again.

A web page/website/weblog is a different story...this endures. From what I've seen, the web presences I've visited (websites/blogs/etc.) by our List members are free of such typos and misspellings.

I was taught that the way you write shows the world how intelligent you are. I'm pretty sure that the author of this piece knows how to spell "nurse"...it says he's the Editor in Chief of this blog, for Pete's sake!

What this shows me, when I read it, is that either a) he doesn't notice that it's misspelled...or b) he doesn't care that it's misspelled. Which means, in either case, he doesn't take pride in his work.

Now, I realize that it's only ONE misspelling...but I was also taught to have pride in what you do. This has been illustrated anecdotally in a story about young Steve Jobs and his adopted father building a table...Jobs didn't want to paint the back of it, as his reasoning was, "no one will see it, why waste the paint?" The story goes that his father told him, "YOU will know it's not been painted! One needs to have pride in one's work...always do the best job you can."

Sorry...I will climb down from the soapbox now. But this kind of thing greatly annoys me.

That, and people who don't use turn signals. ;)

Thanks,
--Forrest

Sent from my First Generation iPad