[NTLK] Newton 2000 that won't power up.

Forrest newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Sun Jun 17 02:33:21 EDT 2012

Welcome to the NewtonTalk Network, James!

Some questions for you....

Is the rechargeable battery pack still in the Newton? Have you tried
removing it and powering on?

The Newton has an odd quirk in that, sometimes, removing all power
from it (even dead NiMH batteries) and allowing it to sit like that
for perhaps as long as overnight will cause it to start right up when
you plug the adapter back in the next morning.

If you are stuck on opening it, be sure and visit Frank's disassembly
pages: www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html . Hard to say what to
look for inside--the usual stuff like burned parts, gunk and crap like
someone spilled something in there, that kind of thing. You could
always take some pictures, email Frank and ask if he might take a look
at them, and perhaps email them to him if he agrees.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with another answer. Meanwhile,
keep us informed as to what you find out.

Thanks,
--Forrest

•Have iPad questions? I'm the Mesa (AZ) iPad Examiner...see what I
write about at http://exm.nr/HYeN8K+
•Small and Medium Business Tech News, Reviews and Analysis: Please
visit http://smb-tech-guide.com/
•Twitter: @FBuffenmyer