[NTLK] NewtonTalk Digest, Vol 33, Issue 10

romantic at ideal-access.com romantic at ideal-access.com
Sun Jun 10 17:55:29 EDT 2012

Dear Newton Talkers,

It amazes me that this list has been so graceful, intelligent and
tolerant
for so many years. The off topic postings are a relief from our daily
routine (not poutine) dribble of misery and despair in this world.
Thank you Grant, and everyone, for spreading hope.

Matthias, Your 250 year old recipe for Gin should be a national
secret. However, the generosity of your information attests to the
fellowship of Newton users everywhere.

MIA, Roman Tarnovetsky
Ontario Newton Users Group
(Toronto) now lost in the boonies of
Eastern Ontario

"I know, I know, I am late to the party.

My family has been making Doppelwacholder - the German equivalent to
Gin for over 250 years here where I live. We were so good at it that
we received the right to move inside the city walls of Uerdingen
(near D?sseldorf).

Gin is made by throwing juniper berries (which are actually cones,
not berries) and possibly some secret ingredients into a big pot.
Alcohol is added (96%, made from anything you can find, grain, rice,
potatoes, beets - at 96%, there is no difference anymore) and the mix
rests for a couple of days. Then, the mix is heated to 90 deg C. The
alcohol boils and takes all the aromas out of the berries, taking it
with in gaseous form. It is then cooled and collected. The result is
a juniper extract that has about 80% of alcohol and an extremely
intense juniper flavor. This is usually done twice to get all the
aroma out.

The resulting extract is mixed with filtered water and fresh 96%
alcohol to create a drink that has between 36% and 40%.

Often, people drink Gin out of ice cold shot glasses in one go. This
is quick and leaves a slight nice aftertaste. Those who really enjoy
the intense juniper taste prefer Gin at a warmer temperature and sip
it quite slowly to have the full aroma.

Enjoy.

  - Matthias"