[NTLK] Need pointers for adding Apply()/Perform()/PerformIfDefined()/etc. to NEWT/0

Morgan Aldridge morgant at makkintosshu.com
Tue Jul 24 21:30:22 EDT 2012

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 7:56 AM, Morgan Aldridge
<morgant at makkintosshu.com> wrote:

> While awaiting the new drive to arrive for the UNNA.org server, I've
> been poking at NewtonScript and writing an xUnit framework in NEWT/0.
> A simple project, but I've run into a number of global functions that
> are missing from NEWT/0's implementation that are preventing me from
> completing the project, specifically the message sending functions:
> Apply(), Perform(), PerformIfDefined(), ProtoPerform(), and
> ProtoPerformIfDefined().
>
> I've been slowly gaining some understanding of the NEWT/0 source code
> and have stubbed these functions out in src/newt_core/NewtFns.c (and
> the respective .h), but I'd love to pick someone's brain who's more
> familiar with NEWT/0 than I am. For example, I'm assuming I can wrap
> around NcCall*() & NcSend*() (found in src/newt_core/NewtVM.c), but
> I'll need some help getting everything connected correctly (hopefully
> only conceptually).

My initial implementation of Perform(), internally implemented as
NcPerform() (see https://gist.github.com/3173823), currently throws an
exception when trying to convert the slot name to a symbol. I'm
getting closer, but have opened up an issue on the NEWT/0 project on
GitHub, in case anyone can chime in:
https://github.com/gnue/NEWT0/issues/2

Morgan
---