[NTLK] Wifi On the Go

Tony Morrow gizmo1482 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 16:54:58 EST 2012

On Feb 8, 2012, at 7:24 AM, Tony Douglas wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Can it do WEP ? The wifi hotspot on the LG P-500/Android 2.2 phone I have can only do completely open or WPA2 - otherwise I would have got rid of my E585 mifi device a while ago...
>
> - Tony

When set Wifi Tether to act as a wifi hotspot the only encryption option is WPA/WPA2 psk. You can go in and change the app to create an ad-hoc network instead and get WEP encryption as an option. That is how I had everything setup on my OG Droid. Unfortnately I was never able to get the Newton to connect to my wifi tether using ad-hoc settings and ad-hoc doesn't appear to work on my Galaxy Nexus.

There is another security option in Wifi Tether to limit connections using MAC address Filtering. I haven't tried it on the Nexus, but filtering did work on my Droid.

-Tony Morrow
http://lookanotherblog.com