[NTLK] [OT] English Language (was Re: 20 MB memory cards FAQ)

Gary McQueen GMMcQueen at netscape.ca
Sat Dec 22 11:38:14 EST 2012

Catching up on some e-mail and coming out of lurker mode for a bit to
expand on an off-topic of interest.  :-)

English, like many other languages, has undergone considerable evolution
over the years.  Old Engish was spoken by the Anglo Saxons and had
Germanic roots (same as the people).  The classic literary example of
Old English is the poem Beowulf; an audio rendtion can be heard at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L7VTH8ii_8 .

The Normans conquered England in 1066, and their language (French/Latin
roots) mixed with the existing language over the years.  This resulted
in Middle English, the classic literary example of which is the
Canterbury Tales (Chaucer; referenced in the original post).  The audio
can be heard at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE0MtENfOMU .

Standardization, assisted by the introduction of the printing press,
resulted in the language evolving from Middle English to Early Modern
English, the prevalent example of this being the works of Shakespeare.

Add to that the influences of the Norse, who settle/ruled various parts
of England over the centuries, and the Britons (Celts) who inhabited
England before the Anglo Saxons (including the time of the Roman
occupation), and you have a language with a mixture of origins that has
some very peculiar rules.

Other languages have some obscure histories as well.  French and German
have evolved significantly over the centuries as well, but I'm not as
familar with the particulars.  I suppose that's why, to me, Old English
sounds nothing like modern German.

As an aside, I remember playing the Youtube video of Beowulf for my wife
a while back.  She was surprised, because when I said it was in Old
English, she though that meant Shakespeare!

Gary