[NTLK] Connecting eMate to XP machine

Forrest newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Thu Dec 6 16:45:03 EST 2012

On Dec 6, 2012, at 6:52 AM, James Fraser <wheresthatistanbul-newtontalk at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Interesting price point aside, I'm sorry I posted the URL at all, despite my accompanying commentary being far from a ringing endorsement of the seller.  I say this because, regrettably, I discovered some time after posting the link that the eBay seller in question ("maceffects" aka "macsruscomputers" aka Mark Jozaitis) appears to have a history with the list.

Let me start out by saying that I don't know Mark Jozaitis and have had no interaction with him.

I say that because what I am about to write could be construed as a defense for his actions, or lack thereof.

I've had myself and have heard of many such sad experiences as this one. I think it comes down to willingness versus ability...or, as Mr. Spock once said on Star Trek, referring to failed contact with a fellow starship: "There are two possibilities: they are unable to respond, they are unwilling to respond."

It could be that Mr. Jozaitis really intended to follow through, to make things right. But he was so snowed over that he just could not--did not--have the resources or the ability to do that.

It's why it's amusing to me that companies charge late fees...if the person or persons could not pay on time due to lack of funds, how can you reasonably expect them to pay even more now?

Of course, the other option is that he really is a cheat and is dishonest, and his intent the entire time was to steal from individuals online. Or maybe, it just turned into that.

He certainly is guilty of one thing: IMHO, it's bad business to continue to take orders if you don't think you can fulfill them. I know he said in his email that he planned on continuing what was left of his business, but I believe the responsible thing is to cease operations until you are more solvent.

At any rate, continued contact with his clients and debtors would have gone a long way...I guess, though, when there is really nothing left to say that's any different than you've already said, maybe you just stop. It would still have been a good idea and the right thing to do to admit that you weren't going to be able to fulfill your end of the deal--but no one ever does that.

"It is better to be thought a crook than to fail to respond and remove all doubt."

Just my thoughts...to paraphrase Christian, my two pieces of copper coin to offer.

Thanks,
--Forrest

"The idea that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armour to lead all customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate technology, led them into it in the first place." --Douglas Adams

•www.broodcoffeetalk.wordpress.com--Thoughts, observations, ideas…stuff to brood over
•Have iPad questions? I'm the Mesa (AZ) iPad Examiner...see what I write about at http://exm.nr/HYeN8K+
•Twitter: @FBuffenmyer