[NTLK] Detailed review of the USB-001 is online

Matej Horvat redjazz_slo at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 7 06:33:29 EDT 2012

I can't test it with my PocketWeb proxy (http://matejhorvat.si/en/newton/pw/) right now, but the only problem I can find with it is that it's too long. After optimizing the page (and this one is already almost as optimized as possible), my proxy mercilessly cuts off the page after the first 10K (10240 bytes) so it fits into the memory of a typical MP120. While I'm not aware of anyone using PocketWeb (and my proxy is currently useless for practical use), if you make sure your page displays well in PocketWeb, you can be pretty sure it'll display well in any Newton Web browser.

> Maybe I'll have to split this page into a couple of pages.

That would help a lot.

> I'm also unsure
> as for whether Newton browsers can handle .gif and .png
> images.

My proxy depends on a free program called ImageMagick to convert images, so it's fine with GIF and PNG, but I'm not sure about other browsers. GIF is certainly supported on any graphical Newton Web browser, but PNG pictures are usually smaller in size, which is also important for Newtons. So you'll have to do some research on that, or provide each picture in both formats.

Otherwise, it's a great and detailed review.

Matej Horvat