[NTLK] 3G MiFi for the Apple Newton MessagePad only $10/month

Ron A. Parker RAParker at Newted.ORG
Wed Apr 4 13:53:30 EDT 2012

Many in the Newton community have forever dreamt of tethering our
wireless MessagePads to our iPhones. Why? Because, if we could, we
would. I know I would. Alas, it is not really possible unless you
Jailbreak your iPhone. Not because AT&T doesn’t like people tethering
and not because Apple is specifically biased against everything
Newton. Tethering (within in iOS) is not possible because Apple
restricts WiFi tethered connections to WPA only.

GAME CHANGER!!!

Spotted today on Dealnews.com is the MiFi 2200 Hotspot for DataJack.
Today and tomorrow you can buy the bundle for $50, saving $40 for
everything.This gives you the DataJack MiFi 2200 and the first months’
200MB Data Plan. A monthly data plan costs only $10 per month after
that. Here are some links:

Dealnews.com
<http://dealnews.com/Mi-Fi-2200-Mobile-Hotspot-for-Data-Jack-w-200-MB-Data-Plan-for-50-10-s-h/564345.html>

Datajack.com
<http://www.datajack.com/dealnews>
<http://www.datajack.com/content/docs/MiFi_User_Guide.pdf>

Why is this significant. First of all, the MiFi 2200 can be configured
to allow Open or WEP connections to the device. Obviously, I don’t
need to explain this significance to any Newton owner.

Next, this thing can run for hours or days using a rechargeable
Lithium Ion battery pack. It’s also rechargeable using standard USB
cables. This means you can stick it in your pocket, carry it with you
wherever you go, and connect your Newton to the Internet without any
wires whatsoever. Better yet, the MiFi 2200 will let you and four
other Newton buddies connect at the same time. Unprecedented in all of
Newton history. Does anyone know how to program a MMORPG in
NewtonScript?

Finally, one cannot ignore the price. For $10 per month, you can give
your Newton MessagePad an unlimited cellular data plan. Well,
unlimited for a Newton that is. Go ahead, try to consume 200MB of
bandwidth on your Newton. I dare you.

Meanwhile, we can wax poetic about the days when we all had dial-up,
AOL was $9.95 a month, and the Newton was the first and only mobile
device anyone ever wanted.

--
RAParker
    |\/|\  @ Newted.ORG