[NTLK] card copy

Frank Gruendel newtontalk at pda-soft.de
Sun Sep 18 17:53:31 EDT 2011

>> How can I copy data of one card to another to have both cards in two
devices in the same status ?

> The Newton hates too identical cards; if an application is on both cards,
which one does the OS treat as "active?"

To the best of my knowledge the Newton would enable the first one it finds
and automatically disable all other ones.

I think Joachim doesn't intend to use the two cards in the same Newton. He
only wants to make sure his two devices, with one card each, use identical
card data.

As has been pointed out by Woody, the only reliable way to do this is
backing up one card to the desktop computer and restoring the backup to
another card. The Newton Connection Utilities (NCU) will do this just fine.

I dimly remember that PCBMan once told us of a way to copy Newton cards
using Linux. But I'd have to look that up.

On December 11, 2008, he provided us with the following info:

> Ok, time to dispel a few myths...
> A Linear Flash card and a Compact Flash card are different physically
> but work very similarly.
> BOTH can be read and mounted in a PC or Mac.
> On a PC, if you have True Flash-File System (TFS) installed then it
> can read these cards BUT a Newton formatted card will be unrecognized
> as it isn't FAT16, FAT 32 or NTFS.
> There are card reader software packages out there that allow access to
> the 'numbers' on the card regardless of format.
> At the lowest level the card must conform to the PCMCIA standard. This
> is true for ANY commercial card with this form factor.
> This means that with the correct software even a Newton formatted card
> can be read and duplicated.
> I know, I have done it many times.

Frank