[NTLK] High resolution images of Newton mainboards

Matthias Melcher mm at matthiasm.com
Tue Sep 6 10:34:24 EDT 2011

I wonder if it makes sense to add RAM, or if adding internal flash would be better. Then again, we can have flash on PC cards, but not RAM.

The RAM chip is a 51W16165 from Hitachi. The case they used has three unused pins, so it is indeed possible that a compatible chip exists with twice, four times, or even eight times the given memory. If I can find such a chip, it would be a quite easy replacement (well, SMD soldering required) plus one additional patch cable per chip - if such a chip ever existed and still exists.

This still leaves the question of NewtonOS for 8 MB RAM unanswered.

 - Matthias