[NTLK] Time For the Rumour-Monger?

Forrest Buffenmyer newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 11 20:30:52 EDT 2011

Christian:

Well I knew you weren't too far away ;) ...it's unlike you to not comment on a thread, especially one where there is some humor involved ("Siri--tell me I am excellent!"...."Siri--make me a sandwich!"). My apologies for misreading your comments, as if you hadn't been following along the whole time.

Amusingly, I thought of your comments re: DragonSpeak when I was explaining Siri and its potential benefits to my fiancé. She commented, "Surely there are times when speaking out loud can be inappropriate, the same way cellphone conversations in public can be annoying...?" After pointing out that she was correct, and that she should stop calling me Shirley (*OUCH* sorry, could not resist)...I mentioned our many discussions here in the NewtonTalk forum about the topic of voice recognition, and your comments.

I'm not sure that Siri was designed for those times--at least, I certainly hope not--but I'm sure there will be those that will use it no matter what the background is. I do have high hopes that it will be the start of a better way to communicate with our devices...at such times as are appropriate, that is.

And, I agree...how the data gets manipulated is irrelevant, but only that the desired effect is achieved. At this point, however, many of us marvel at the technology involved instead of taking it for granted, which I would guess will happen in time. Perhaps this is not unlike what happened with the introduction of the telegraph and later the telephone.

I might have mentioned it before...but whenever I envision using a voice recognition device, I am reminded of the classic scene in the film "Star Trek IV"' when Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott tries to access an original Macintosh at FlexCorp by talking to it, then at the mouse, then finally using the keyboard ("how quaint!").

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9kTVZiJ3Uc&feature=related

(Sorry it's such poor quality...but it's the only one that's in English.)

Thanks,
--Forrest

Sent from my First Generation iPad