[NTLK] Very ambitious idea for Newton 2011 mods....

Forrest Buffenmyer newtonphoenix at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 22 02:48:17 EST 2011

Yeah, I gotta believe that any serious changes to the Newton form factor would have to be okayed by Apple, as they still own all its patents and trademarks. It's been amusing to me that the company has allowed some of the things that have already been done...I would think that things like the ROM software patches, Einstein, the hardware additions like the Dongle Destroyer, etc. could somehow infringe on those, if they wanted to be picky about it (although admittedly they left us to fend for ourselves when they stopped supporting it). Apple has seemed to turn a blind eye and deaf ear towards Newton enthusiasts...you don't have to look very far to see what happens when it believes its property is being altered or copied (lawsuits against Psystar, Samsung and HTC, et al).

As a former semi-enthusiastic user of Sharp products in the mid- to late-90s, I can tell you that Zaurus users never enjoyed the support that we have with the Newton...and I'm fairly certain that also applies to most other types of PDAs/handhelds as well.

Just my thoughts on your great ideas for Newton improvements...most everything you've mentioned has been debated in some form at one time or another here on the List...I seem to recall that some Listers have even gone so far as to contact Apple about possible changes/revisions, only to be shot down.

Keep imagining great things though, and keep sharing them. Maybe there's an answer or solution  in some of it!

Thanks,
--Forrest

Sent from my First Generation iPad