[NTLK] MessagePad 2000: newbie questions

Nic Malone nicmalone at mac.com
Sun May 22 10:10:40 EDT 2011

> I'm new to Newton, have just received a pre-owned MP2000 from NewtonSales and need some advice from the Newtontalkers. My MP lacks the all-important serial dongle to communicate with my OSX or Win98 machines. Now, I do have an eMate that connects to OSX via a Keyspan/serial lead combo, I also have an Orinoco Silver WiFi card, and a 4mb memory card. Does anyone know if I can install the WiFi driver package from UNNA onto the memory card using the eMate then put the card into the MP2000 to enable the package on that device? The emate seems to check memory cards for packages before activating them each time it reboots. I wondered if a MP would do the same. If so, would this remove the need for a serial dongle by providing an alternative means of connecting (over WiFi TCP/IP) to a Mac using NCX, NewtSync or NewTen?

Second question:
The MP2000 unit arrived with all the screws for it's backplate missing (no complaints as it was a bargain bin type sale). Does anyone know the screw specifications so that I can buy some new ones from a PC parts shop?

Third question:
My MP20ALS artery pack cannot hold a charge. Has any Newton user in the UK found a place that can re-cell the MP2000 battery pack? A company at www.rebatt.co.uk do it for powertool packs so I've asked them and will pass on any positive response to you all.

Last of all, that's for recent advice on transferring Notes outlines to Newt Works!