[NTLK] HWR and the art of thinking

Lord Groundhog lordgroundhog at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 13:35:37 EDT 2011

~~~ On 2011/03/28 23:43, Lloyd Conway at ssgconway at juno.com wrote ~~~

> http://artofmanliness.com/2011/03/08/snap-out-of-your-writing-routine/
>
>     The link above is to an article that looks at writing with a pen
> versus using a keyboard.  Of course, I immediately thought of our little
> green friends.  If the article is correct, perhaps HWR is keeping our
> minds sharper than they otherwise would be, because writing with a pen
> (or stylus) stimulates the brain more than typing does.  I pass the link
> on in case it may be of interest.
> Regards,

Lloyd,

I'm certainly not going to want to argue with anybody who promotes
handwriting, and if they also boost using proper fountain pens, so much the
better!

BUT -- how can I trust something that says "this content is brought to you
by the new blah-blah-blah"?  How do I know all his product suggestions
aren't really product placement?  And anyway, "the art of manliness"?   So,
my wife can't join in without feeling odd?  Or is this meant to be some kind
of post-feminist metro-man?  Or what?  Very mixed messages all round.  ;-)

Seriously, I'd feel more confident if there was some citation of source:
who performed those "brain scans" and where did they publish?  Without it,
that whole paragraph is just a glorified "They say".  And this from a man
who uses a Newton several hours a day, glorying in the freedom from keyboard
and the positive effect my Newt has had on my productivity since I started
using it.  Although I agree with the claims subjectively and I want them to
be true, the scientist in me is shouting "No, No, No!"

But that won't stop me from day-dreaming about creating a T-shirt that says,
"Use a Newton!  The ultimate brain-gym!"   >:-))

Shalom.
Christian

            -- ref.:  Arthur C. Clarke

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4